Walking Benefits

Walking

Scientists have known for years that people who exercise tend to live longer than those who do not.  Perhaps one of the best things we can do for our bodies is to simply take a walk.  Some people might think that walking is not intense enough to offer any health benefits.  They may say that playing sports or running hard would be much better because they tend to use more energy.

When you stop and think about it, however, walking is one of the things that almost anyone can do at any time.  Unlike many sports, you can enjoy doing it alone and you don’t need any special equipment.  Walking also has many hidden benefits that we are just starting to understand.

One of the best things about walking is that it can strengthen your heart.  Even slowly walking will make your heart work harder.  It will pump blood faster and give your circulatory system a workout.  This also helps to manage blood pressure.  As a result, you can lower the chance of having a stroke by up to 27 percent.

Walking can also help with weight loss.  Even a short 30-minute walk at 3 kilometers per hour can burn off 75 calories for a person who weighs 60 kilograms.   A daily walking routine can be a good part of an overall weight loss plan.  A walking routine also seems easier to keep than other exercise routines aimed at weight loss.   Studies show that about 75 per cent of people who try to lose weight by jogging will quit within six months.  On the other hand, only 25% of walkers quit in the same time frame.

Finally, walking can make you a much happier person!  Walking causes the brain to release endorphins throughout the body.  These help to raise your mood levels.  They also make you feel relaxed, more alert, and happier.  Walking is an excellent way to reduce stress and anger.

Did you enjoy this lesson? If you did, why not try this one on Family Therapy or this one about Vitamins?



Questions