British – US English


My students are always interested in the English words that people use in different countries. For example, “potato chips” in America are called “crisps” in England. Here are some other different words that people in England, the United States, and Canada use for the same thing:

1.  The room where you use the toilet is called “the toilet” in England but in America, people tend to say “the bathroom”. In Canada, people are more likely to use “washroom”.

2. When you want to get a job, you usually write your work history on a piece of paper and give it to a company. This is usually called a “CV” (pronounced “cee vee”) in England. In America and Canada, it is usually called a “resume” (pronounced “re-zoo-may”).

3.  The little round baked snacks that everyone loves are called “cookies” in the U.S. and Canada but people in England usually refer to them as “biscuits”.

4. The person in charge of a school is called a “headmaster” in England. “Principal” is the word used in the U.S. and Canada.

5. Americans who visit England might get really confused when they hear their taxi driver complain about the slow “lorry” in front of him. After a few days, they will soon realize that a “lorry” in England means the same as a “truck” in America.